10 Ways to Make Your Office Desk More Functional
The office desk is where all the magic happens, whether you’re meeting with clients or working on a project. But if your desk isn’t set up properly, these important tasks can become more difficult than they need to be. Luckily, there are many simple ways that you can make your office desk more functional and efficient so that you can get your work done with ease. Here are 10 tips on how to do just that:
- Keep it clean and clutter-free– A clean office desk is a productive desk, so make sure to keep yours free of any unnecessary paperwork or knick-knacks. Not only will this help you focus on your work, but it will also make the space feel more spacious and organized.
- Invest in a good chair– Whether you’re sitting at your desk all day or just occasionally, having a comfortable chair is a must-have. Take the time to find one that is well-made and has adequate back support so that you can sit comfortably for hours at a time.
- Add some greenery– Studies have shown that having plants in your workspace can help you feel more relaxed and focused, as well as make the office smell better. Plants also add an element of visual interest to your desk, so be sure to incorporate them into your set up in any way that you can.
- Utilize storage containers– If you find yourself constantly searching for pens, paperclips, and other small office supplies, it’s time to invest in some storage containers. This way, you can keep all of your necessary materials within reach, so you can focus on your work instead of looking for what you need.
- Create a work station– If you have the space, consider setting up a small workstation at your desk. This could include adding a lamp for extra light, an inbox for sorting through mail, or even a whiteboard for brainstorming ideas. By having everything you need in one place, you can minimize distractions and maximize your efficiency.
- Get a monitor stand– If you find yourself craning your neck to see your screen, it’s time to invest in a monitor stand. This will help you avoid straining your neck and keep both arms on the keyboard instead of reaching up to adjust the screen. Plus, it makes working at your desk much easier and more ergonomic.
- Keep a charging station– Staying connected is essential these days, but that can mean your phone and other devices are always running low on battery life. To avoid having to constantly look for an outlet, invest in a charging station that you can set up next to your desk – this way, you’ll always know where to find a power source when your phone starts to die.
- Get a wireless keyboard and mouse– If you do most of your work on the computer, having a wireless keyboard and mouse can make using them so much easier. This way, you won’t have wires getting in the way or tripping you up, and you can move around your desk to get comfortable without worrying about disconnecting anything.
- Organize your cables– If you have a bunch of cords and cables hanging off of your computer, it can be difficult to keep everything organized and not trip over any wires. To avoid these potential hazards, invest in some cable organizers that you can use to contain your wires and keep them out of the way.
- Use small storage solutions– No matter how big or small your office desk is, it’s likely that there isn’t a lot of extra room to work with. But this doesn’t have to be an issue if you make the most of the space that you do have. Try using small storage solutions like shelves, organizers, and even magazine holders to keep everything organized without taking up too much room on your desk.